|GIS Technician I |
|$35,859 to an annual maximum of $54,308 DOQ|
Job FLSA Status
|To collect and process geospatial data, and provide basic Geographic Information Systems (GIS) support including equipment maintenance, map creation, and the utilization of GPS (Global Positioning System) equipment. |
|ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Design and produce thematic and cartographically correct maps.
• Develop and edit GIS datasets utilizing ESRI ArcGIS software and applications.
• Perform field data collection and verification (includes post-processing and QC work).
• Maintain a consistent and organized file system and structure on PCs and file servers.
• Troubleshoot and resolve minor technical problems related to GIS & GPS systems.
• Perform GIS software installations and upgrades.
• Convert and import data in various formats (e.g. photographs, construction drawings, and CAD data) and alternative sources into ESRI-compatible format.
• Operate, clean, and maintain GIS & GPS equipment.
• Operate GPS related software; perform data corrections, and conversions.
• Assist customers (walk-ins).
|DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) Graduation from an accredited two-year college or university with an Associate's Degree or equivalent; and
(B) Experience in operating ESRI GIS software, Trimble GPS equipment, AutoCAD Map, and Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, and Outlook); or
(C) An equivalent combination of education and experience.
|Necessary Knowledge and Skills:
(D) Minimum of (4) years of experience with computers.
(E) Basic knowledge of the principles and practices of GIS, GPS, cartography, and general database functionality, as well as a moderate knowledge of the methods and operation of computer equipment and software.
(F) Skill in the operation of the tools and equipment listed.
(G) Ability to perform process control calculations, exercise safe working habits, and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Must also be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
(H) Reasoning Abilities
(I) Must have the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motor vehicles, personal computers, tablet devices (iPad and Android), GPS units, Microsoft Office suite, GIS and CAD software, telephones, copiers, printers, and wife-format plotters.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use both hands. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk and hear. The employee must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Job Computer Skills
Applicant must possess a valid State Driver’s License (Class C) and good driving record.
City Of Covington Department
|Engineering & Stormwater|