|annual minimum of $39,504 to an annual maximum of $59,753 and will be determined based upon qualifications. |
Job FLSA Status
Under general direction of the City Engineer & GIS Manager, provides technical support in the development, implementation, operation and maintenance of the City’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) programs, designing GIS projects, applications, and database structures. Creates, maintains, manages, analyzes, and disseminates spatial data for City information needs. This Includes data maintenance, data development, map creation, the collection of GIS data in different formats, utilizing GPS (Global Positioning System) equipment, electronic data recorders, and digitizers. As well as performing related work.
The applicant must perform the essential responsibilities and tasks of this position in a safe and quality conscious manner. The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices. In addition, specifications are intended to outline the minimum qualifications of incumbents within the position.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
• Develop and edit GIS datasets within an SDE environment.
• Update & load data into Enterprise Geodatabases.
• Assist in the maintenance and organization of the GIS data structure.
• Establishes and manages a file system structure.
• Performs quality assurance and quality control on GIS and associated data.
• Create new user versions (SDE).
• Interpret engineering plans, plat maps, and legal descriptions for GIS database development efforts and importation.
• Assists in the collection and mapping of land use, environmental, utility infrastructure, and other types of data for comprehensive plans and amendments.
• Ensures the integrity, quality and accuracy of a variety of GIS information and data.
• Build and maintain spatial data layers.
• Build and maintain spatial views.
• Developing feature services.
• Developing dynamic feature services utilizing Arc Server.
• Developing Silverlight applications to consume feature services & dynamic feature services.
• Administrative role Arc Server (managing workspace).
• Developing mobile applications utilizing ArcGIS Online.
• Administrative role ArcGIS online (managing workspace).
• Intermediate understanding of Microsoft SQL server or equivalent DBMS.
• Intermediate understanding of Spatial Database Engine (SDE).
• Prepare cartographically correct maps utilizing ESRI’s software.
• Coordinate with other departments for projects and troubleshooting.
• Instructs and directs the work of technicians performing data entry and mapping work.
• Performs a variety of analytical studies related to the development and implementation of the GIS system; evaluates alternatives, makes recommendations and prepares technical reports.
• Makes presentations to representatives of other agencies regarding the GIS system; explains system hardware and software and ensures that applications, such as those for the emergency response system, are appropriate.
• Performs research and analysis of geographic and tabular data from public and private sources for integration into the City’s GIS.
• Provides updated information to external agencies as necessary.
• Perform spatial and tabular analysis by creating automation with Geoprocessing models and scripts for routine tasks.
• Assists other city staff in the utilization of the GIS through training and the development of GIS interfaces and other tools.
• Assist in integration of GIS data with Emergency Management Agency (EMA).
• Assists GIS Manager with administration of software.
• Assists GIS Manager in performing software Implementation and upgrades.
• Assists in Base Station Maintenance.
• Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit’s service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a work team.
• Attends training meetings and upgrades knowledge of GIS systems use; applies and documents new techniques as they are implemented.
• Diagnose and corrects problems with user terminals and equipment service; troubleshoots system problems; provides technical assistance to user departments.
• Assists in the development of procedures the incorporation of plans to capture/control the quality of information collected.
• Develops programs and databases specific to the department’s needs.
• Develop and edit GIS datasets.
• Perform database updates within an SDE environment.
• Import GIS data from alternative sources.
• Solves any technical problems related to GIS & GPS systems.
• Converts Information from Photographs, construction drawings, and AutoCAD drawings into ESRI compatible format.
• Conducts field verification and data collection.
• Maintain GIS & GPS data.
• Designs and produces thematic maps.
• Coordinate with government entities to accomplish specific project goals.
• Maintains GPS survey monumentation grid for real world mapping of utilities and other features deemed pertinent.
• Operate, clean, and maintain GIS & GPS equipment.
• Operate GPS related software; perform data corrections, and conversions.
• Assist customers (walk-ins).
• Plotter & Scanner Maintenance.
Necessary Knowledge and Skills:
• Understanding of Microstation or AutoCAD and their ability to interface with ArcView, Arc Info, and other geographical information systems too effectively and efficiently transfer data for use by those systems.
• Experience with Geodatabase development and SQL server.
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of cartographic principles, spatial data models, statistics, Geographic Information Systems, Global Positioning System and relational database functionality.
• Skill in operation of the tools and equipment listed.
• Ability to perform process control calculations, exercise safe working habits, and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Must also be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
• Must have the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motor vehicle, Personal computer, GPS Unit Microsoft Office, GIS related software, computer-aided systems, telephone, copy machine, fax machine, and plotters.
Applicant must possess a valid State Driver’s License (Class C) and good driving record for the past 3 years.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use both hands or one hand and prosthesis. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in GIS, geography, planning, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field.
• Preferred Two years of increasingly responsible experience in the design, development implementation and administration of a geographical information system, in particular the ESRI product line.
• Experience in database administration, relational database design and implementation.
• Experience with Arc Info, Arc Editor, ArcView, ArcGIS, Arc Server, ArcGIS Online.
Job Computer Skills
City Of Covington Department
|Engineering & Stormwater|