Cross Connection (Backflow)
The cross connection program for the City Of Covington is to protect the potable water supply of its customers. It protects the users from numerous possibilities of contamination, which may 'backflow' or 'back-siphon' into the water supply system.
The Cross Connection Control/Backflow Prevention Program is a state-mandated program designed to protect the public's drinking water from contamination by identifying and eliminating cross connections. This is accomplished by ensuring that all water meter connections can be controlled through the proper use of backflow prevention assemblies. A software program enables the department to maintain accurate records pertaining to the location of existing backflow prevention devices, type and size of each device and annual testing results. All testing must be done by a State certified backflow prevention tester.
David Powell, Program Specialist
Cityof Covington Water Resources Department
P.O. Box 1527
Covington, GA 30015
Click image below for Backflow Testers Contact List
Backflows can occur two ways:
- Negative pressure causes a 'back-siphon'. Negative pressure creates a partial vacuum in a sealed tube or distribution system that can siphon liquid into a potable water system. Remember, liquids will flow toward the point of lowest pressure.
- Superior pressure causes backpressure backflow. A pump, boiler system, can cause superior pressure or elevated storage tank located in a non-potable system.
Breaks in a water main or fire hydrant use are examples that may cause a system to backflow. These situations can happen without notice and therefore require continuous prevention.
Prevention is maintained through:
- Careful considerations of water supply connections.
- A system of valves set up for protection. The type of valve is determined by the hazard it protects.
- Regular inspection/testing of backflow prevention valves.
- Public education
For more information, What Is Cross Connection has 50 questions and answers related to cross connection.
Backflow Testers: You can use the below fillable PDF as a testing form.
Please completely fill out the backflow test form. It MUST include the date of the test, the time (including AM or PM) of the test, test results and tester information (including phone number) and signature. If these items are not filled out, it will not be accepted. Thank you!